Property Accounting is a section of the Fiscal Services Department within the Administration and Finance Division.
The Property Accounting Office is responsible for centralized maintenance of the property records, including acquisition, control and disposal of equipment and other assets of the University. An ID tagging process is used to identify and track all equipment and a system of regular physical inventories is maintained in order to ensure physical accountability of all state owned equipment. The Property Office works closely with the Property Survey Board and Surplus Property to authorize and document the disposal of equipment.
Equipment is defined as merchandise that: (1) has a life greater than one year, (2) can be physically relocated, (3) is not expendable (e.g. office supplies), and (4) is not furniture. Departments must maintain a tracking mechanism for their equipment and must notify the Property Office of any physical relocations of the equipment.
The Property Accounting Office is located in the Administration Building (Building 01) Room 131. Office hours are 8:00 to 5:00 Monday through Friday.
*** Physical Inventory Improvement Project ***
The purpose of this project is to improve the tracking of University property using a combination of barcode and radio frequency identification (RFID) tags, handheld readers, and software compatible with Peoplesoft (PS) Physical Inventory (PI) module within Asset Management (PSAM). The project team consulted with Dr. Tali Freed, Professor of Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering and Director of PolyGAIT - Cal Poly Center for Global Automatic Identification Technologies, and Michael Ochi, “Ochi,” an Industrial Engineering graduate student and President of the RFID Club who is basing his graduate thesis on this campuswide project.
- New RFID Tag Information
- Retagging Implementation June 17, 2013
- "Proposed" Building-by-Building Implementation Plan
New RFID Tag Information
- For the time being, laptops, tablets, iPads, camcorders, cameras, vehicles, trailers, golf carts, server racks/components, catalysts, chassis and chassis racks will be tagged with barcode rather than RFID. The main reason is the thickness of many of the RFID tags used on metal making it more subjective to dislodging and tampering; however we have recently found an RFID tag we believe to be a good fit, so more about that later.
- All RFID tags will be printed with text, the tag number and a barcode. The numbering sequence on the tag will be six digits, like existing decals and barcodes, and will be distinguished with a beginning number of “2”.
- The RFID tags for non-metal surfaces are the Avery-Dennison (AD) 380iL with a read range up to 12’. The size of the non-metal RFID tag will be 2.25” x 1.25” which is slightly larger than our current 2” x 1” barcode tag, but should still fit on most assets. On a case-by-case basis, we may forego use of the non-metal RFID tag and use barcode instead because of the lack of space. In addition, there will be a gold stripe on the RFID tag between the text and the barcode to distinguish it from the non-RFID barcode tag with a green stripe.
- The RFID tags for metal surfaces are the Xerafy Versa Trak and the Omni-ID Flex. The Xerafy Versa Trak measures 2”L x .75”W x .2”D. It is a very rigid and durable tag, but also has a 1/5” thickness which has the potential for dislodging and tampering unless placed on the right equipment. The Omni-Id Flex LP measures 3”L X 1”W, but the thickness is not an issue and the tag is more flexible. The read range is superior on the Xerafy tag, but both tags meet our physical inventory needs. On a case-by-case basis, we may forego use of the metal RFID tag and use barcode instead because of lack of space and/or the potential for dislodging and tampering.
Retagging Implementation June 17, 2013
- The campuswide retagging implementation will occur Monday – Friday, 8:30am - 4:30pm.
- The campuswide retagging implementation will occur Monday – Saturday through June 8. The schedule for Monday – Friday will be 8:30am - 6:30pm and for Saturday will be 9:00 am – 5:30 pm through June 8 when we will resume the regular Monday-Friday schedule, 8:30am - 4:30pm.
- Important: We ask for your utmost support during this effort so we can complete quickly and with the least amount of inconvenience as possible.
- We have taken into consideration space used for classroom and other events/activities, and we will only enter those when not in use based on Resource 25.
- Important: We ask that you share this information with faculty and staff to ensure they are aware we will be entering offices without being contacted first.
- All students and staff involved in the retagging effort will be visibly identified.
- As we move through buildings and to the extent possible, we will provide general updates and notifications more specific to the locations within a building (first floor, second floor, etc.), but this may be on very short notice. We will keep this information updated on our website as well
- We will provide a one-week lead time to occupants in the next targeted building.
- Important: If there are any rooms with equipment that should not be entered due to special room restrictions (hazardous waste, alarms, etc.) or safety restrictions and/or should never be entered without department personnel, please advise us of those rooms as soon as possible. Email Ken Delmese (email@example.com), so we can incorporate into our plans.
- For the time being, departments requesting to retain the same numbers as the existing tag number will be barcoded with the same number, if not already, after the campus wide RFID implementation.
"Proposed" Building-by-Building Implementation Plan
|Begin Date||End Date||Buildings||Exclusions|
|6/18/13||7/05/13||004, 041A, 041B, 192, 007, 197, and 013||Server rooms|
|7/08/13||7/26/13||024, 011, 038, 034, 005 and 002||ITS space (bottom floor 002) and server rooms|
|7/29/13||8/02/13||31, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 112, 113, 114, 170, 171|
|8/05/13||8/23/13||003, 060, 021, 014||ITS space (bottom level 014) and server rooms|
|8/26/13||9/13/13||020, 040, 026 and 186|
|9/16/13||9/22/13||076, 046, 061, 124, 115, 116, 117, 133, 028 and 027, 043, 042, 042A||ITS space (Bldg. 115), ITS space (Bldg. 046) and server rooms|
|9/30/13||10/18/13||044, 006, 019, 065, 052, 025, 033, 053||Server rooms|
|10/21/13||11/15/13||047, 022, 010, 008, 008A, 009, 036, 058, 074, 080, 070 and 071||Server rooms|
|11/18/13||11/22/13||81, 134, 017, 017J, 016, 018, 032, 048, 050, 055, 056, 057, 077, 082, 095, 137, 150, 154, 155, 160 and 161||Server rooms|
Phone: (805) 756-2570
Phone: (805) 756-5813
Fixed Asset Accountant
Phone: (805) 756-5961
Director of General Accounting
Phone: (805) 756-7415